Singapore UN-Habitat International Leaders in Urban Governance Programme (SGUNHiLUGP)
The Singapore-UN-Habitat International Leaders in Urban Governance Programme (SGUNHiLUGP) brings together urban development experts from UN-Habitat and Singapore to showcase Singapore’s successful urban practices and transformation and UN Habitat’s case studies to provide City Leaders in government service with the knowledge, skills and tools to enable them to lead change in their cities’ urban planning.
In addition, this iLUGP aims to:
- promote peer-to-peer learning and networks among city leaders.
- encourage cross-sector knowledge exchange to enhance integrated long term planning and dynamic urban governance and help achieve cities’ SDG targets.
- support cities to plan, innovate and implement projects to realise sustainability ambitions.
- support city leaders work through specific project challenges based on best practices and new knowledge.
Participants on a learning journey at Singapore River
Action-planning discussion with urban development experts
Site visit to Marina Barrage
Participants sharing on their projects
8-12 May 2023, Singapore
The theme for the May 2023 programme will focus on Affordable Housing. The programme pedagogy will consist of lectures, site visits and discussion/action planning sessions. Topics may include:
- Integrated Master Planning
- Dynamic Urban Governance
- Housing Options
- Land Management
- Transport & Services
- Integrated Infrastructure and Resource Management (Waste, Water, Energy)
- Engagement & Community Building
“It is true that we can’t copy and paste the Singapore experience, but the topics discussed were useful and brought about a change in the way of thinking and overview about planning.”
Ferao Felix Manave, Municipal Secretary, Boane Municipality, Maputo, Mozambique
“Programme provides a platform for comparison with African systems. The structure is right and methodology is very practical and interactive. Programme management and time keeping was great.”
Eunice Kumunga, County Executive Committee Member Land, Housing & Physical Planning, Kiambu, Kenya
“We have been sensitised, we have been refined, educated, we have been remodelled in our ways of thinking and it has taught us so many lessons, which we have picked up through the various lectures and sessions that we have had.”
Edna Deimi Tobi, Deputy Director of Urban and Regional Development, Abuja, Nigeria
“The material given with support of site visits, knowledge sharing, and planning was excellent. Presentations were of high quality with fundamental explanations.”
George Munyaneza, Urban Development Project Co-ordinator, Ministry of Infrastructure, Rwanda
City leaders and senior officials in the government service from Latin American and African cities who have a strong interest in implementing change and are willing to commit to implement a post-programme action plan are invited to apply to the programme.
Participants will be selected based on the following eligibility and criteria:
- Applicant comes from a city undergoing rapid urbanisation and facing challenges related to the achievement of SDGs, especially SDG 11 on Sustainable Cities and Communities;
- Cities are expected to send a team of 2-3 officials, comprising one city leader (mayor, deputy mayor or equivalent with executive responsibilities in urban management) and up to two senior officials (at the level of a Chief Planner, Chief Engineer, Permanent Secretary, Deputy Secretary or Director-General level, etc.)
- All representatives of the participating city must be committed to attend all sessions of the full programme, develop and present an action plan;
- Each applicant must share his/her learning points with other officials upon their return to their respective cities;
- The Applicant must have a good, working knowledge of both written and spoken English as all sessions and discussions will be conducted in English;
- We require all applicants to be fully vaccinated with WHO EUL COVID-19 vaccines.
Acceptance of applicants into the programme is subject to the submission of completed application documents and space availability. The Organisers reserve the right to decide on the selection and final acceptance of all applicants.
City officials from Latin American and African cities may apply online at: https://form.gov.sg/6319adacea4514001366c2ef The closing date is 16 February 2023. All applicants to the programme will be informed of the outcome by early March 2023.
For enquires about the programme or the application process, kindly email Ramona Zuzarte, email@example.com.